Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spring is in the air!

It was 23 degrees outside on Sunday, and again on Monday. It was gorgeous. It was also windy. We opened up all the doors and windows to air out our house. It was warmer outside than it was in our house, and by opening all the doors and windows, it was the warmest it's been in here since we moved in. Our furnace isn't the most efficient, our doors don't seal properly, and many of our windows are as old as the house. Not the best for heating in the winter (or cooling in the summer I imagine) and we'll have to rectify that at some point. But back to the point, spring was in the air. You could feel it. Actually, it felt like summer. A very windy, but warm, summer day.

With the house opened up to the world we get an amazing breeze through here, and it just whips all the old stuffy air out. And paint fumes, too, we learned in the fall. But it blows everything around in the house too. Curtains are blown closed, every loose piece of paper is whisked off it's resting place, and blown across the floor, and anything stuck to the fridge is knocked to the ground if it isn't held on with an industrial strength magnet. In fact, the wind may have taken a magnet right out of my house, because I can't seem to find it now. Actually, I'm missing a pair of shorts, too, now that I mention it...

Like sagebrush rolling over the desert plains, dust bunnies rolled out from I-don't-even-know-where, and rolled their way around our house. I was standing in the kitchen when a particularly large one came barrelling down the hall, around the corner, through the kitchen, and down the back stairs... I'm not even exaggerating. At first, I thought it might be a mouse, out of the corner of my eye.

I picked up all the sticks in the yard on Sunday, and on Monday more had blown down.

It seems all the neighbourhood animals were out playing in our backyard in the last two days. I saw all our favourite birds in one area, at one time, for the first time ever. There were 2 doves, 2 cardinals, 2 blue jays, and several house sparrows (sounds a bit like Noah's Ark.. I wonder if that's a sign that more spring rain is to come?) I'm hoping any day now we start seeing some interesting birds migrating North again for the summer... Ian and I have been practically glued to the windows.

A disadvantage of having the doors and windows open? The furnace didn't come on, so our basement got pretty chilly, which isn't so good for Ian's beer, fermenting down there. It's suppose to be in a warm, dark place right now, but it wasn't really warm down there at all. Oops. I hope the beer turns out okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment