Friday, April 8, 2011

Feeling far from home

Today is a very special day in my family. It is my Grandma's birthday, my cousin's birthday, and my other cousin's daughter's birthday. (Are you following?)

So I messaged my cousin on Facebook, wishing him a happy birthday. We used to be pretty close. We hung out a lot. I have a lot of funny memories from time spent with him. I could tell you some very funny stories. Maybe I will sometime. Happy birthday Jay! I think this is 34! I'm glad you will always be older than me, to pave the way or something, and take the blame.. ;)

Then I played around with Photoshop and made a collage of pictures of my other cousin's daughter, from the time she was born, until one of the last times I saw her. I realize now I didn't actually put a picture of the last time I did see her, which I remember very well. It was at our Kamloops wedding reception. Anyways, I put all the pictures together, with a happy birthday message, and emailed it to her. She is turning 12. I remember when she was born. I remember when she was a baby and wouldn't go to sleep unless she was sitting in our laps on the porch. I remember painting her bedroom, a beautiful garden, and tucking her into bed. I remember when she came to stay with Ian and I for a whole week, and we got to have her all to ourselves, and she was so grown up. Now she's 12. I miss her a lot, and can't wait until she's old enough to come visit us. Happy birthday Kai-bear! I love you!

And then, after taking a breather from reminiscing and running on the treadmill for an hour, I called my Grandma. She is celebrating her 79th she tells me. She is also thinking about moving into an apartment in town and closer to my mom and aunt. I miss her so much it aches. Ian and I used to drive down to Birch Bay to visit her and Brian when they were down there. And of course, when we were in Kamloops we would drive out to her place. I used to call her more often. I haven't called her in a while. But I did send her a Christmas present; a scarf (although she says it's not  a scarf, more of a neck warmer, which works for me.) She has been through so much, and is so strong. I'm so proud of her and I wish I could give her a great big hug.

Then I got off the phone and felt very sad, and very far away. I miss all of these three people terribly, and I wish I could celebrate their birthday with at least one of them, which I usually do.

But I'm sending them good wishes, and lots of love. And to all of the other people I'm so far away from. I hope I can see you soon.

On that note, my mom will be here in 13 days I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment